There is a history to 960 Grant that began long before the building was ever a twinkle in architect William Bowman's eye. This story began with Judge Earnest Colburn, a man who made his fortune at Cripple Creek during Colorado's last great gold rush. Mine profits funded the development of The Colburn Hotel, a distinctive landmark in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, which opened in May of 1928 at the height of a prohibition era culture that would draw Denver's most notable characters. By 1940, famous beat writers including Neal Cassady, Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouack were frequenting the hotel bar that is now known as Charlie Browns, a local favorite. The building's claim to fame did not stop there. Distinguished actors like Marilyn Monroe and Marlon Brando also stayed at the hotel while filming Westerns during the '50s and '60s.
In 1930, Colburn added a twin building to the south of the hotel. It too was architected by William Bowman and would eventually become the luxury apartments now known as 960 Grant. By the time RedPeak purchased the property in 2017 it had prospered from over 54 years of ownership from a local family who porvided significant preservation and care.